Books to Seriously Up Your Parenting Game
There is a common theme among these four books: the idea that we parent best when we practice self-empathy. Taking a moment before reacting, not just to breathe but to acknowledge any inner feelings present, is a critical first step that enables us to proceed with full command of our mental faculties. Step 1: empathize with emotions, Step 2: engage logic. This works best with humans of all ages!
Parenting from Your Heart: Sharing the Gifts of Compassion, Connection, and Choice
by Inbal Kashtan
Amazingly, we have virtually never suffered the frustration of a power struggles with either of our (now teen) daughters, and I completely credit the Non Violent Communication (NVC) workshops we took pre-kids. It works! This is a fantastic little book (46 pp) that applies NVC principles to parenting. It is short, simple, and will show you how to communicate with your kids in a way that gets everyone’s needs met peacefully.
The Whole Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind
By Daniel J. Siegel, M.D. and Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D.
Cooperative and Connected: Helping Children Flourish Without Punishment or Rewards
by Aletha Solter
The Conscious Parent: Transforming Ourselves, Empowering Our Children
By Shefali Tsabary, Ph.D.
I just found out about this book today while watching this interview with the author and will be purchasing it a.s.a.p. Stay tuned for more details.
5 Love Languages of Children: The Secret to Loving Children Effectively
By Gary Chapman, and
There are several books based on the concept of the 5 Love Languages. I haven’t read this one, but the idea is the same for all: everyone receives love best in one or two of these 5 ways. If we know which “Love Language” our child/spouse/friend speaks, then we can show our love in a way that they will really feel.
Find out your love language with the quiz on www.5lovelanguages.com/
Articles & podcasts for on-the-go parenting inspiration
- “Getting Past the Parenting ‘Shoulds’: Compassionate Parenting Starts with Self-Acceptance” by Inbal Kashtan
- “4 Best Ways to Raise Children with Social Intelligence” by Janet Lansbury
- 6 Causes of Parental Anxiety – Where does it come from, and what should we do about it?” by Jen Lumanlan
- The Balanced Parent Podcast~Raising Kids with a Healthy Money Mindset
- UNRUFFLED~Pandemic Parenting – Will the Kids Be Okay Socially?
- Joyful Courage Podcast~Crucial Conversations to Have with Our Middle Schoolers
Videos to juice up your parenting mojo
- If you don’t already know Marie Forleo, it’s time to check out her awesome interviews. She covers all things related to living a life you love. This interview is with Dr. Shefali is about conscious parenting.